[Samba] Another Shot At It

DJ Busch djbusch at new.rr.com
Fri Oct 18 03:07:00 GMT 2002

After receiving no response to yesterday's message, I tried some more web
scouring and more tinkering and dinking around with Samba...and I discovered
what may be a major key to my problem...

I have 3 PC's...2 are Windoze and 1 is Linux.  Windoze machines are likely to
understand how to share files across subnets using the same workgroup
name...but is Samba as adept?  I have a feeling that is at the heart of my
problem.

I enabled wins support in my smb.conf and assigned the Samba box's IP address
as the primary wins server on the WFW box. I also set Samba to be the domain
master browser according to the instructions in BROWSING.txt.  All of this,
alas, was useless as I still couldn't browse the Win-duhs shares from Linux
or the Linux shares from Winduhs.  I feel that I'm getting much closer to my
goal (file sharing without using Windows) and would really appreciate any
help any of you can offer.

DJ Busch

Here is my latest attempt at smb.conf:

[global]
	workgroup = LEGEND
	netbios name = LUKE
	server string = Dave's Linux Experiment Gone Wrong
	interfaces = eth0
	bind interfaces only = Yes
	security = SHARE
	encrypt passwords = Yes
	null passwords = Yes
	log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
	debug level = 5
	max log size = 50
;	socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_RCVBUF=8192 SO_SNDBUF=8192
	os level = 2
	lm announce = yes
	preferred master = yes
	domain master = yes