[Samba] Username map and UNIX UID assignments

Wieprecht, Karen M. Karen.Wieprecht at jhuapl.edu
Thu Oct 17 17:02:01 GMT 2002

I'm testing Samba 2.2.5 with winbind.  I can successfully authenticate
domain users who do and don't have corresponding UNIX accounts as well as
domain users who do have a UNIX account.  Files created from PC side by
usera show up in UNIX "ls -l" as owned by usera so I thought the automatic
username mapping was working correctly,  but  I found out that usera isn't
being assigned his UNIX User ID correctly.  I found this because UserA
doesn't have write access in the areas he should when he comes in through
samba.  I had usera write a file in a public space,  and from the UNIX side
did
	ls -n
to show the UID assigned,  and it is one of the Ids in the winbind range,
not the user's UNIX UID ...

I tried adding a username map to force the UID mapping explicitly,  but even
after doing that,  the UID is still the winbind one, not the correct UNIX
one.  I'd like to get this working.  Any tips would be most appreciated.

	Karen Wieprecht
	karen.wieprecht at jhuapl.edu

P.S. This is the configuration I was using,  I tried adding a username map,
and then tried changing "winbind use default domain = No" at one user's
suggestion,  but no luck.

# Global parameters
[global]
	workgroup = WALNETNT
	netbios name = ROSEHORSE
	server string = rosehorse
	security = DOMAIN
	encrypt passwords = Yes
	password server = *
	passwd program = /usr/bin/yppasswd
	log level = 2
	log file = /usr/samba/log.%m
	max log size = 500
	name resolve order = host wins bcast
	keepalive = 30
	os level = 0
	preferred master = False
	local master = No
	domain master = False
	dns proxy = No
	wins server = x.x.x.x
	lock dir = /usr/samba/locks
	valid chars = - _
	winbind uid = 10000-20000
	winbind gid = 10000-20000
	template homedir = /netshare/users/samba/%U
	winbind separator = _
	winbind cache time = 60
	winbind use default domain = Yes
	guest account = user1
	guest ok = No
	map to guest = Never
	hosts allow = x.x.x.
	veto files = /*.eml/*.nws/riche20.dll/*.{*}/
	strict locking = Yes