[Samba] Samba hastles

Lloyd Lowe lloydl at cat.co.za
Thu Oct 17 14:13:00 GMT 2002

Hi,

I recieved an e-mail from you a while ago which until now, was just what
the doctor ordered and if I never thanked you then, Thank you very much,
But I have run into some difficulties with Samba and Mounting NT shares
ia RedHat 7.3 System. The systems info is provided below.

Server :    ITV_SERVER
IP        :    192.168.34.6
Share  :    Apps

Local Dir    :    /Net/ITV/Apps
Samba Ver :    2.2.5 - downloaded recently.

Username for NT server :    root
Password for NT server :    athens

When I run the foloowing : mount -t smbfs -o
username=root,password=athens //ITV_SERVER/Apps /Net/ITV/Apps

I get the following error :

tdb((null)): tdb_open_ex: could not open file
/var/cache/samba/unexpected.tdb: No such file or directory
tdb((null)): tdb_open_ex: could not open file
/var/cache/samba/unexpected.tdb: No such file or directory
tdb((null)): tdb_open_ex: could not open file
/var/cache/samba/unexpected.tdb: No such file or directory

I would if possible like to find out how get this and many others like
this link to be created on bootup, but to date have been very
unsuccessful. I used your suggestion and put the following command in
the fstab file :

//ITV_SERVER/Apps /Net/ITV/Apps smbfs username=root,password=athens 0 0
and typed mount /Net/ITV/Apps but this kept failing with the following
error :

[mntent]: warning: no Final Newline at the end of fstab
tdb((null)): tdb_open_ex: could not open file
/var/cache/samba/unexpected.tdb: No such file or directory
tdb((null)): tdb_open_ex: could not open file
/var/cache/samba/unexpected.tdb: No such file or directory
tdb((null)): tdb_open_ex: could not open file
/var/cache/samba/unexpected.tdb: No such file or directory

Have you got any ideas for me ?

Thanks
Lloyd