[Samba] Problems w/long file access times (samba2.2.5 & WinXP pro) (fwd)

Ben Griffith bgriffit at email.unc.edu
Wed Oct 16 12:42:01 GMT 2002

-----[ on 10/16/02 02:21:12 PM +0200 kasi.mir at melzone.de wrote ]-----

> This only happens with our WinXP clients; the two legacy Win98 machines
> still in use don't ever complain about anything. I read something about
> oplock problems in an older mail on one of the samba mailing lists and
> tried tinkering with the parameters to no avail.

I saw delayed access to Samba shares with WinXP until I turned off the
WebClient service that runs on WinXP. It was trying to access the Samba
server over port 80 and waiting for timeouts until then using the expected
NetBIOS ports. After disabling the WebClient service on my XP machines,
they accessed the Samba shares normally.

As an administrator on the XP machine type services.msc into the "run"
dialog. Then look for WebClient and stop or disable the service. See if
this makes any difference.

     --Ben--

Ben Griffith
bgriffit at email.unc.edu