[Samba] Share names causing big troubles

Jamie McParland jamie at listserv.newberg.k12.or.us
Tue Oct 15 16:57:01 GMT 2002

I work for a school dist, and I am having a bit of trouble with the "Student
Server" We have about 3000 students all with their own accounts. I had the
samba server setup to share their home directories but their home
directories are the same as their login name. So jamie.mcparland would be an
example of a share name. But in Win 9X it gets truncated to jamie.mcparla
then we get the error that the share does not exist.

I understand that Win 9X can't handle names longer than 13 chars. So

I'm sure some of you have had this problem as well. How did you deal with
it? I really don't want to regenerate the accounts.

I was thinking about just setting the student directory as a share point but
and chmoding all the actual student directories to 700. This works and
students only have access to their own directory BUT you have to look
through 3000 folders to find your home folder and that¹s not a good thing.

Is their anywat I can hide the other users folders from the logged in user.
IE when you click on the student share and your logged in as jamie.mcparland
you only see your jamie.mcparland folder?

Our setup is Samba 2.25 and RH 7.3

Thanks
Jamie McParland