[Samba] strange trouble with Win2k

Frank Küster geb. Fürst ffrank at rz.uni-potsdam.de
Tue Oct 15 17:33:00 GMT 2002

I am running Samba 2.2.4 on a Debian machine (2.2.5 is compiling right
now), and I'm experiencing strange problems with Win2k-Clients in a
domain with the Samba-server as PDC.

The clients can join the domain, authenticate users to the Samba server
and access shares, thats o.k. However, they do not seem to believe that
they are in the domain.

If I click on "Network Neigbourhood", there is only "Entire Network",
and if I browse down this list I can get to our domain. But shouldn't
our domain ("SECKLER") appear on the same level as "Entire Network"? Of
course seeing your domain on top level isn't important, but maybe this
is an indication of a general problem - I also have some trouble with
printing.

The clients are SP3 now, I think, but the problem was the same without
SP (or was ist SP1?).

Does anybody have an idea, or tips how to find the cause?

TIA, Frank

----- smb.conf follows -----

[global]
workgroup = seckler
domain logons = yes
server string = sugar
logon home =
# don't let the profiles be stored on the server:
# logon drive = /var/export/homes/%U
logon path =
logon script = %U.bat
# domain group = /etc/samba/localgroup.map
# domain admin users = admin
domain admin group = @wsadmin root
printer admin = @wsadmin

add user script = /usr/sbin/adduser --conf /etc/adduser.smbmachine.conf --home /dev/null --no-create-home --gecos "Machine Trust Account" --disabled-password --force-badname %u

#printing
printing = CUPS
printcap = cups
load printers = yes

# security
security = user
guest account = nobody
encrypt passwords = yes
# browseable = no
include = /etc/samba/hosts_allow

# browsing
os level = 64
local master = yes
preferred master = yes
domain master = yes
remote announce = 141.89.201.255

# wins-support:
wins support = yes
name resolve order = lmhosts wins hosts bcast

debug level = 2
log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
max log size = 1000
syslog = 0

# compatibility
client code page = 850
character set = ISO8859-1

[netlogon]
path = /var/export/smblogon
guest ok = no
writeable = no

[homes]

Ich habe z.Z. nur einmal pro Tag Netzzugang. Daher kommen meine Antworten
langsamer als üblich

Frank Küster geb. Fürst