[Samba] Runaway samba processes

Robert Euston robert at euston.fslife.co.uk
Tue Oct 15 15:32:28 GMT 2002

Hi,

I need some help!

We have Samba 2.2.5 running on AIX 4.3.3. The server is a very heavy
duty server, and has 3 main shares, which are very large.

The problem is that after a few days of running, the server suddenly
stops killing off newly spawned smbd processes. They do not die, even
when the original smbd process is killed. They will respond to a kill
-9, but killing off the main PID does not kill the runaway children.
(Instead, their PPID goes to 1 )

Killing off all the smbd processes with kill -9, and restarting the
daemon fixes the problem.

This really isn't acceptable. The only thing I can see in the log is
that there is rogue machine doing connects with a bad userid/password
pair. This is occuring in the log every second or so. The problem here
is that we are running at a high debug level, and the log is overwritten
within minutes due to this problem.

At the moment I am running a test to see if I can reliably reproduce the
problem by replicating the rogue login attempts on a test box. There's
another test in the pipeline to save a log file large enough to record
when it starts so we have more of an idea whats going on, as the logs
written after the processes start running away aren't much help.

Thoughts :

It could be that samba isn't closing the socket properly. This fits, if
the process is waiting for the socket to close, but it stays open
(deadlocked condition?). Why this might be, I can only guess. I've
proved that it works again on the same machine after killing off the
runaways, so it does not appear to be an environment issue.

It might be a problem with AIX and Samba under certain conditions.

A Memory leak maybe?

In any case, I would be grateful for some ideas/help.

Thanks,
Robert