[Samba] Profiles and automatic drive mappings

Massimiliano Mirra mmirra at libero.it
Tue Oct 15 14:36:01 GMT 2002

>  The 2000 machines also write a profile dirctory in that share, and
>  copy the entire desktop contents to it each time the user logs
>  off. For most of the users, this isn't a problem, but some users
>  have a gig of video files on their desktop, and it writing all that
>  crap to the sever is not necessary and slow.
>
>  How do I make samba stop automatically mapping Z: as their home
>  directory, and how do I make the profile writing to the server
>  stop?

Does this help you?

[global]

	logon path = \\%N\profiles\%U
	logon home = \\%N\%U
	logon drive = Z:

[profiles]

	path = /lan/samba/profile

This way, profiles are kept in a different disk share than homes, and
that share can be in a different partition altogether, where you can
set quotas; users will be able to save their gig of video files in
their home but will run out of space if they try to do it on their
desktop.

If you've found a better solution in the mean while, I'd be glad to
hear it. :-)

Massimiliano