[Samba] Samba Error Message

Richard Amadori richard.amadori at awest.com
Mon Oct 14 18:20:59 GMT 2002

I'm setting up Samba for the first time and so far, things are going well
with the exception of this one error message that I get.  When I type
"smbstatus" I get the following message:

Failed to open byte range locking database
ERROR: Failed to initialize locking database
Can't initialize locking module - exiting

I'm not sure how severe this error is yet.  I'm using the most current
release of Samba, compiled it, and upgraded per the instructions in the
README file in the redhat directory.  I'm using Linux v.7.1 with a kernel
version of 2.4.2-2

Hope this is enough information.  I'd certainly appreciate it if you could
assist.

Regards,

Richard Amadori
IT Administrator