[Samba] Connecting to Samba Shares over VPN

Jack Aboutboul jaboutboul at speakeasy.net
Mon Oct 14 17:06:00 GMT 2002

Hey All,

  I recently set up a Cisco PIX 506e VPN at my office. When a user
connects through the VPN they are able to access all windows shares but
when a samba share is queried using the UNC you get a message that says
"So service appears to be operating at this location" or something to
that effect. The samba server does bind to an interface and only allows
certain hosts, but the vpn connection puts me on that subnet, so i
should be able to get in, although im not. Anyone have any ideas? Samba
2.2.3a. The smb.conf pasted below. Thanks in advance for any help.

<--smb.conf-->

[global]
	log level = 1
	bind interfaces only = yes
	interfaces = 192.168.1.250/24
	socket address = 192.168.1.250
	remote announce = 192.168.1.
	browseable = yes
	allow hosts = 192.168.1.
	encrypt passwords = yes
	null passwords = yes
	socket options = TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_LOWDELAY
	max log size = 50
	security = share
	workgroup = Tmain
	server string = Transcion SMB Server