[Samba] Problems with Roaming Profiles under Win2k SP3

David F. Severski davidski-samba at deadheaven.com
Sat Oct 12 19:14:01 GMT 2002

I'm having a problem wtih 2.2.6pre2 that I seem unable to resolve.  When
logging out of my Win2K SP3 machine, I receive the error "Windows cannot
update the roaming profile.  The system cannot find the file specified."

Checking the archives and google brings up several references to errors
around the copying of ntuser.dat from the local machine, to a temporary
file on the server, and then using that temp file to replace the old
ntuser.dat, with this error typically occuring in the last step.  None of
these seem to suggest a resolution though.

Tweaking the log level and UserEnvDebug haven't turned up any usefull
information.  Changing oplocks, nt acl support, and permissions on the
profile directory has also been unsuccesfull.

The Samba server is running on FreeBSD 4.7 and has the following config
file:

[global]

log level = 3
oplocks = no
workgroup = DEADHEAVEN
server string = Geoff Server
hosts allow = 192.168.0.

load printers = yes
printcap name = cups
printing = cups
log file = /var/log/log.%m
max log size = 500
security = user

encrypt passwords = yes

socket options = TCP_NODELAY

interfaces = 192.168.0.1/24

domain master = yes
preferred master = yes
domain logons = yes

logon path = \\%N\profiles\%U
wins support = yes
dns proxy = no

[homes]
   comment = Home Directories
   browseable = no
   writeable = yes

[netlogon]
   comment = Network Logon Service
   path = /usr/local/samba/lib/netlogon
   guest ok = yes
   writeable = no
   ;share modes = no

[profiles]
    path = /usr/local/samba/profiles
    browseable = no
    guest ok = yes
    create mask = 0700
    directory mask = 0700

[printers]
   comment = All Printers
   path = /var/spool/samba
   browseable = no
   use client driver = yes
   public = yes
   guest ok = yes
   writeable = no
   printable = yes
   printer admin = root

[print$]
    comment = Printer Drivers
    path = /usr/local/samba/printers
    guest ok = no
    browseable = yes
    read only = yes
    write list = root

Any assistance or pointers would be greatly appreciated.

David