[Samba] Quota problem (soft=hardlimit?)

Peter Grießl griessl at ihs.ac.at
Fri Oct 11 16:06:15 GMT 2002

Hello all,

after upgrading from 2.2.3a to 2.2.5 we experience strange quota behaviour.
When logging out from Windows 2000 and writing the user profiles back to the
server the user gets a "disk full" warning - below soft and hardlimit.

Tests showed that the warning comes up when

	Userfiles + (2 * Profiles) > soft limit.

In all our tests, the grace period and the hardlimit were never reached and
are not the limiting factors.

I read about Windows 2000 duplicating the profiles before writing back
to the server, therefore (2 * Profiles). Ok, we can live with that.
But treating the soft limit like hard limit is not fair, I think.

The only thing changed on the server was the upgrade to Samba 2.2.5
(RPM from ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/people/lmuelle, we use SuSE 7.3).

Greetings and thanks for any hints,
Peter Griessl (griessl at ihs.ac.at)