[Samba] Slow file openings on XP using Samba to Linux

Bruce Hammond bhammond at myacc.net
Thu Oct 10 15:31:00 GMT 2002

I am new to Samba and Linux and couldn't find any help looking through the
Samba list archives.  I have a linux server with Samba installed and several
XP machines accessing files on the linux machine using Samba.  Opening files
takes a very long time, sometimes 20 or 30 minutes, whereas ftping the file
takes 10 or 20 seconds.   I have tried using some of the Samba diagnostic
tools like smbstatus,  tcpdump and strace, but I don't see any obvious
reasons the file downloads take so long.  All packets go across without
failing, there just seems to be many long pauses between packets.  Can anyone
give me any idea how to diagnose why opening these files is taking so long?
Thanks,
Bruce Hammond