[Samba] Samba print server as part of Win2000 domain, having access issues from winXP

Timothy MacDonald timm1973 at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 9 18:50:57 GMT 2002

Hello samba gurus,

Here is my issue, it may actually be a windows issue
but because samba is in the mix I feel like it should
be presented here. Here are the three principle
players:

a) pdcbox - A windows 2000 server box functioning as a
PDC (in compatibility mode)

b) printbox - a SuSE linux box running Samba 2.2.3a
functioning as a print server (with cups) and a WINS
server.

c) clientbox - An XP Pro machine trying to print.

I am logged into clientbox as user "tim", which is a
user in my Win2K domain. When I attempt to print or
look at my available printers I get an "access denied"
message. If I open up printbox in Windows explorer it
asks me for a username and password. If I type in my
own username and password it fails. If I type in
another username and password (just another user in
the domain with the same priveledges as myself) it
works, after this I can print. What gives? I have
verified that my account is valid and no different
from the one that works.

printbox is configured thusly:

[global]
	workgroup = somedomain
	security = domain
	password server = pdcbox
	map to guest = Bad Password
	socket options = SO_KEEPALIVE IPTOS_LOWDELAY
TCP_NODELAY
	character set = ISO8859-15
	os level = 0
	local master = yes