[Samba] Print server on all linux network

Buchan Milne bgmilne at cae.co.za
Mon Oct 7 18:48:01 GMT 2002

> Message: 10
> From: Dan Sawyer <dsawyer at blenderwars.com>
> To: Joel Hammer <Joel at HammersHome.com>, samba at lists.samba.org
> Subject: Re: [Samba] Print server on all linux network
> Date: Sun, 6 Oct 2002 19:13:17 -0700
>
> Second update:
>
> On the advice of someone else on this mailing list, I converted from BSD
> printing to CUPS (still using samba).

WHY?????? (using samba)

You don't need samba to do printing between two unix boxen!!! You use
samba to either share a printer on a unix box to windows clients, or you
setup a print spooler from a unix box to a windows print share. If
you're doing both, you're wasting your time ...

You can either use bsd-style lpd, or you can use CUPS (usually much easier).

We added a new printer to our network on Friday. Attached it to a
Mandrake 9.0 box, set it up with CUPS, waited a few minutes and it
popped up on our main print server (Mandrake 8.1), restarted samba on
that box to force samba to pick up the new printer (since we share all
the printers and their drivers out to the windows boxen via that box,
since the windows boxen are more effort to configure than the linux
boxen which pick all the printers up automatically).

So, I would suggest you take this to a SuSE-specific list, since they
will be able to tell you where to click (it won't help me telling you to
run printerdrake).

Buchan