[Samba] Problems using WinXP-Pro client and Samba PDC

Joe Samba samba at gnosys.biz
Sun Oct 6 11:01:00 GMT 2002

Hi All-

Some time ago (24 September 2002), I wrote the list about this problem with
using a WinXP Pro client with a Samba PDC (see below for details).

In response, Kenneth Illingsworth (if I understood him correctly) suggested
that the error message given by the Win XP client just might be accurate (ie.
that when the client complains of "Insufficient Memory" and then crashes
immediately, it might indeed be a problem with insufficient memory), and also
suggested that I should make sure disk write caching was enabled for the
client machine and that the amount of swap space was something like 2.5 times
the amount of physical RAM.

I tried Ken's suggestion, verified that disk write caching was indeed enabled,
increased the amount of swap space from the automatically configured amount
(384 MB of swap with 128 MB of RAM) to 512 MB of swap.  Unfortunately, this
did nothing to solve the problem, and I am now exactly where I stood when I
originally posted the message below, so it seems my suspicion that the WinXP
error message had nothing to do with the real problem was probably correct.

I've tried fiddling with various settings in the smb.conf file that seem to
relate to file locking and stuff, but all to no avail.

Does anyone (please, please!) have any suggestions about what might be the
problem or what to try experimenting with to try and solve the problem?

If not, is anyone else running a network with a samba PDC, at least one Win XP
Pro client, at least one Win XP 2K client, and a database application run
simultaneously on both of these clients (and perhaps others) using common
files that are made available on the network using the disk share features of
the samba PDC?  If so, perhaps someone could send me a copy of his/her
smb.conf file for simple comparison.

My smb.conf file looks like this:

[global]
	workgroup = OLYMPUS
	netbios name = ARES
	server string = Samba %v on %h
	encrypt passwords = Yes
	map to guest = Bad User
	smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd
	passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
	unix password sync = Yes
	log level = 2
	syslog = 0
	socket options = SO_KEEPALIVE IPTOS_LOWDELAY TCP_NODELAY
	character set = ISO8859-15
	domain admin group = admin
	add user script = /usr/sbin/useradd -d /dev/null -g 100 -s /bin/false -M %u
	logon path = \\%N\profile\%U
	domain logons = Yes
	os level = 64
	preferred master = True
	domain master = True
	wins support = Yes
	admin users = adam
	hosts allow = 192.168.69., 127.
	printing = lprng
	veto files = /*.eml/*.nws/riched20.dll/*.{*}/

[homes]
	comment = Home Directories
	read only = No
	create mask = 0640