[Samba] Samba and Printing

Francesc Guasch frankie at etsetb.upc.es
Fri Oct 4 09:35:01 GMT 2002

Gareth Davies wrote:
> This is probably a pretty lame questions, but say I've got a HP 4500N
> colour laser, I can access it as I'm on Win2k and I can add a default
> TCP/IP port and print raw to it.
>
> But the clients on Win 98 cannot, how would I 'connect' samba to this
> printer so it was shared and they could get to it?
>
> Is it very difficult to do?
The first time is a little bit harder, but it's easy.

 > Do I need to locate linux drivers for the
no
> printer or can I just print direct via lpr?
yes

> Is there any guides on how to do this?
There is a document about debugging printing issues with
samba, mine is in :
/usr/share/doc/samba-????/docs/textdocs/Printing.txt

Basically you have to config the printer in the linux
server. As soon as you can print from the command line
you must add a printer entry in smb.conf.
See also examples/printing in the samba docs.

--
frankie