[Samba] Samba and Printing

Gareth Davies gdavies at willowbrook.co.uk
Fri Oct 4 08:47:01 GMT 2002

This is probably a pretty lame questions, but say I've got a HP 4500N colour laser, I can access it as I'm on Win2k and I can add a default TCP/IP port and print raw to it.

But the clients on Win 98 cannot, how would I 'connect' samba to this printer so it was shared and they could get to it?

Is it very difficult to do? Do I need to locate linux drivers for the printer or can I just print direct via lpr?

Is there any guides on how to do this?

Also about the ACL, even if I have permissions (Domain Admin) I can't change the positions on anything through Win2k on the samba shares, only by chmodding locally on the box.

I'm using Debian 3.0, do I also need to compile ACL support into the kernel, and if so how? I've never done anything like that before.

TIA

Shaolin - IT Systems
WB Ltd.

.: http://www.security-forums.com :.