[Samba] really tough question about wins database

Mac dmccann at nibsc.ac.uk
Wed Oct 2 16:00:54 GMT 2002

>From: jason <jason at monsterjam.org>
>To: samba at lists.samba.org
>Subject: [Samba] really tough question about wins database
>Date: Wed, 2 Oct 2002 10:01:55 -0400 (EDT)
>
>I sent this twice, but since nobody answered, I guess its not a "quick
>question" anymore. ;)
>
>Version 2.2.5 on  2.4.18-6mdk

[smb.conf looks OKay]

>my question is, ive got wins turned on, smbd and nmbd are running, but
>there is no wins.dat in /usr/local/samba/var/locks
>actually there is nothing in that directory.
>
>why isnt it there? what am I missing?

2 reasons spring to my mind.  Firstly, is that definately where the file
is supposed to be?  If you didn't compile Samba from source (or even if
you did), you might not have noticed where the default 'locks' directory
is.  I suspect (but can't check right now) that it's a location that
could be controlled by a compile-time option.

Try  'find / -name wins.dat -print' and see if the file's been put
somewhere else.

Second option (which I don't think is likely).  Is anyone actually using
your UNIX box as their WINS server?  You've obviously got another
significant box around (your password server), are client PCs sending
their WINS registration to it instead?

                               Mac
          Assistant Systems Adminstrator @nibsc.ac.uk
                        dmccann at nibsc.ac.uk
   Work: +44 1707 641000 x285      Everything else: +44 7956 237670 (anytime)