[Samba] LPRng and CUPS disconnect Proxim XP pro USB wireless adapter after spooling

James jhall at jadeinternet.net
Sat Nov 30 21:32:00 GMT 2002

Hello, group.
I am not sure that this is a Samba problem, but it ONLY happens when I
print via Samba, so here it goes. I also wonder if this is a similar
problem to the current thread of "Disconnect problems".
I have a laptop that is running RedHat 8.0. I use a Proxim HRF PCMCIA
card for my home network. I use the rlmod.o module to drive the Proxim
card.

My other computer is a desktop computer that is running WinXP Pro. It
uses a Proxim HRF USB adapter. It has the printer, a Canon BJC240
attached to it.

The below problem is identical with both LPRng and CUPS. CUPS seems to
work best overall, so that is what I am using.

PROBLEM: I print a document from the (linux) laptop, example
"lpr 4ltrwrd.ps".
It is completely spooled onto the windows machine, but as soon as the
document is fully spooled, the Windows USB adapter turns off, but the
ncpa.cpl still shows this connection as "enabled". I know that it is
not, however, because I can not transfer data, and the light on the
adapter is off. I can "disable" then "enable" the connection on the
windows machine, and all is well again until I print another document.
*note* I cannot re-enable the connection until the document has fully
printed*. BTW, since the document is spooled onto the WIN XP box, it
subsequently prints completely and without error.

Any suggestions? Thanks.