[Samba] \System32\GroupPolicy named pipe?

Jason Spence jspence at lightconsulting.com
Sat Nov 30 21:15:01 GMT 2002

Hi -

I'm using samba to connect some windows boxen to a distributed set of
unix machines.  I'm trying to unify some of the administrative
interfaces via mmc, specifically the group policy stuff.  When I try
to use the Group Policy snap-in to connect to my samba 2.2.1 servers,
I see the windows box do a Tree Connect Andx to
ADMIN$\System32\GroupPolicy, and then the samba box responds with
0x0004, permission denied.  Then the windows box goes and tries to
create ADMIN$\System32, which also fails.  I have sniffer dumps of
the exchange here (libpcap format, use Ethereal to open):

http://lightconsulting.com/~thalakan/gpdump.cap

Poking around in the samba source code, it looks like ADMIN$ is
aliased to IPC$, but the System32 named pipe isn't created anywhere.
Does anyone have any thoughts on implementing this and whatever
associated protocol is necessary to modify server-side group policies
over it?

--
 - Jason                      Currently at: Home (Fremont, CA) (Partly Cloudy)

Everything journalists write is true, except when they write about
something you know.
		-- Dag-Erling Smorgrav,