[Samba] [homes]

Robert Adkins raa at impelind.com
Fri Nov 29 20:44:01 GMT 2002

Mike,

	If you need a good and quite easy method of configuring Samba, I
recommend taking a look at webmin. It is a great tool for configuring not
only Samba, but a variety of services on many different types of UNIX
Operating Systems.

	It runs through a web browser and uses SSL encryption, which provides
some decent security. Of course, you can also use it directly on the
local machine, if you are running in X.

	Using webmin will provide you with an easy to follow Samba.conf file.
You can also access SWAT through Webmin. Although, you should know that
SWAT will alter your smb.conf, streamlining it for a potentially
significant speed boost. (SWAT will remove all of your comments and leave
just the essentials (Like all the flags you set) in the smb.conf file.

	Anyway, take a look at www.webmin.com and see what you think. Using can
make administrating a UNIX system very easy.

Regards,
Robert Adkins II
IT Manager/Buyer
Impel Industries, Inc.