[SAMBA] config/performance problem on solaris 8

Jim Morris Jim at Morris-World.com
Fri Nov 29 05:24:00 GMT 2002

On Thursday, November 28, 2002, at 09:05  PM, Justin Richards wrote:

> at any rate, thank you both for helping me look at this problem!  this
> kind
> of performance will keep me happy for a while!

I'm glad to hear I steered you in the right direction!  Just remember
to use FTP in the future any time you want to check network performance.

> Any idea why tcp:tcp_conn_hash_size=32768 would have such negative
> affect?
> We have tweaked this setting on some of our larger servers at work
> (E4500's,
> E6500's and Sunfire 4800's) and it never had bad results..

Not having touched Solaris or a Sparc based system in almost 5 years, I
cannot really comment on these settings in your /etc/system file. What
I see on the Sun web site indicates this sets the size (in entries) of
the TCP connection hash table, with the default value being 512.  One
would think this would affect TCP connections for both reading and
writing equally.  But then again..... I don't really know!  The Sun
docs do say only to change it from the default if you expect to
consistently have more than a few thousand concurrent TCP connections.

Anyway, I'm glad to have been of service....
  --
Jim Morris (Jim at Morris-World.com)