[SAMBA] config/performance problem on solaris 8

Justin Richards jwr at black0ps.org
Fri Nov 29 03:06:01 GMT 2002

Jim,

Good call!  ftp suffered same performance.  i never noticed a NFS problem to
my other Sparc's because most of the time I was reading data off of the
server.  Now to determine where the problem is..

the only settings I have changed in /etc/system is adding:

set tcp:tcp_conn_hash_size=32768
set hme:hme_adv_autoneg_cap = 0
set hme:hme_adv_100fdx_cap = 1

no other changes (such as ndd commands).

I took the 3 above settings out of /etc/system, rebooted and ftp performance
was over 10 meg/sec both directions, samba is now doing 7.5 m/s read from
server and 8 m/s write to server.  It seems strange that I can write to the
samba shares faster than I can read??  both nic's come up as 100meg full
duplex, so it must have been the tcp:tcp_conn_hash_size setting.

at any rate, thank you both for helping me look at this problem!  this kind
of performance will keep me happy for a while!

Any idea why tcp:tcp_conn_hash_size=32768 would have such negative affect?
We have tweaked this setting on some of our larger servers at work (E4500's,
E6500's and Sunfire 4800's) and it never had bad results..