AW: [Samba] "attrib +R myowndir" fails to write-protect my own dir

Dragan Krnic dkrnic at lycos.com
Thu Nov 28 13:14:01 GMT 2002

>On November 28, dkrnic at t-online.de said:
>> actually a second attempt at drawing your attention to the fact
>> that compliance with M$ quirks and kinks is not something to be
>> ashamed of but rather reason to be proud.
>
>I think you'll find that the Samba team are quite familiar with this
>opinion, especially in the context of the Samba TNG fork :)
>
>Waider.
>--
>waider at waider.ie / Yes, it /is/ very personal of me.
Ron babe,

TNG fork was a preventable disaster. I think the problem is a lot of
us are sitting on our thumbs and letting Jeremy and the band pick
out all the problems for us. When schedules get too tight and there
are different priorities there's always a gang leader for a schism.
That it plays into the hands of the great Satan duplicating the
effort and splitting the community is a matter of grave concern for
all. M$ will underbid any serious attempt at a mass migration to open
source with hefty rebates, and there's little we can do against that
except strive to be a serious alternative and not a bunch of
fundamentalists picking at articles of faith.

What's wrong about admitting that the u-g-o octals were too narrow a
view of security and accepting that a businessperson may be a
visionary in her own right by just thinking a little out of *nix box?
For open source to have a chance, it needs to be ahead of the pack
and you can't do that before you catch up.

A little rant helps relieve the tension of an admin's day of work.

Bye now,
Dragan

PS: On a different note: Ron, do you have a constructive comment on
my posting '"Special" link folders - Readonly attrib', Tue Nov 26
20:53:28 2002, or are you just a kibitzer?