[Samba] "attrib +R myowndir" fails to write-protect my own dir

Dragan Krnic dkrnic at lycos.com
Wed Nov 27 22:18:02 GMT 2002

On Wed, 27 Nov 2002 21:10:19 jra wrote:
>On Wed, Nov 27, 2002 at 04:06:53PM -0500, daniel.jarboe at custserv.com wrote:
>> True, but was his desire to prevent deletion of the directory, like in
>> DOS?
>>
>> C:\>mkdir test
>> C:\>attrib +r test
>> C:\>rmdir test
>> Access is denied.
>> C:\>attrib -r test
>> C:\>rmdir test
>>
>> This works on windows mapped shares, but not on samba.
>
>Deletion of a file/directory in UNIX is dependent on the
>'w' permissions of the enclosing directory (parent), not
>the file/directory itself.
>
>Jeremy.

Yes, of course, so just push the w-bit aside for a second until a
file is created and then put it back again. So, where's the problem?
Is it woodoo? No, purest white magic. Like lifting the tombstone from
Lazarus's grave.

How else does restore of so many backups work? If it wouldn't restore
write-protected directories, it shouldn't back 'em up either?

Server side storage of profiles, off-line resources and so many new
things of which our ancestors (Kernighan, Ritchie, Leighton) never
dreamt are all instances of massive backup objects. There must be a
way to handle it reasonably even on a legacy system like *nix.

By now,
Dragan