[Samba] "attrib +R myowndir" fails to write-protect my owndir

Dragan Krnic dkrnic at lycos.com
Wed Nov 27 22:04:00 GMT 2002

I hope Time won't take me to a CDMA court martial in Guantanamo for
unfair use of your quotes, Daniel!

The point is that each norm is only really valid in its original
context. It is the spirit of the norm which should guide us. The idea
is: you slap an unorthodox attribute onto an object to evoke any kind
of practical magic and then laugh your sides off. Who cares?

The same with Readonly. How long are we going to proselytize that the
ability to remove a something must reside in its parent container even
if the common-sense interpretation and apparent design is closer to delete-protection. Therefore this something gets the label "Don't
touch" and you won't touch it even if it is in your power to remove
it since having as it were the formal right to delete the sticker.

Flame bait?

You bet!

Let's compromise. Let's define a new smb.conf directive for 3.0:

   [homes & especially profiles]
      overrule readonly dirs = Yes/No

Default is "No" and it's very deprecated, but in exceptional cases,
like on almost every samba server, it may be enabled to write into
one's own write-protected directories.

How 'but it, fellas?