[Samba] problems using challenge-auth with winbind

Daniel E. Coletti dcoletti at xtech.com.ar
Wed Nov 27 20:13:39 GMT 2002

Hi,
	I'm trying to set up a squid with ntlm authentification, and as I
follow the instructions I read in the squid FAQ I run into this problem.

tells me that the authentification did not succeded (both, plaintext
passwords authentification and challenge/response password
authentification). This PDC works with Win95 PCs (and these use
plaintext), so I'm assuming that the NT can do these type of
authentification.
The user I'm using is *not* the administrator and I managed to put the
correct privileges to join the domain.
I did compile samba with the --with-winbind-auth-challenge and
--with-winbind options.

I'm using debian 3.0 (aka woody) and samba 2.2.3a-6.

I did try compiling a samba 2.2.7 but, eventhough I compiled it with the
exact same flags I compiled 2.2.4a-6 and using the very same PDC user,
the smbpasswd won't join the domain (strange, huh?).

Any ideas? Could it be that there are privileges on the PDC that need to
be added to this user?

Thanks a lot.

daniel////

--