[Samba] RE: Samba newbie question... (SWAT)

peter.a.bryant at mainroads.qld.gov.au peter.a.bryant at mainroads.qld.gov.au
Wed Nov 27 03:27:00 GMT 2002

So John, are you the "SWAT guru" for Samba?
I like the idea of having an expert for each area of Samba.

Just a thought - if you are looking for further feedback regarding SWAT,
you may want to post a message to the Samba forum on tek-tips website.
(goto  www.tek-tips.com    and search for forum called "Andrew Tridgell :
Samba")

There are currently over 800 members of the forum, so there should be at least a
few SWAT users, and obviously these people like a gui interface if they are
using the web forum.

-pete.

On Wed, 27 Nov 2002 peter.a.bryant at mainroads.qld.gov.au wrote:

> Thanks for the performance information John, I wasn't aware that
> optimising the conf could make such a difference. I guess my way of
> thinking - where I want to look at the original smb.conf file and have
> it nicely readable is a bit impractical, and maybe I will soon change
> that way of thinking, but I think it will help your work if you are
> aware of other peoples thought processes, (even if they seem
> incorrect).

Spot on! I also object to things that I have tidied my way being changed
without my consent. You are no rebel, never intended to convey that
impression either. But performance can make or break a Windows NT/2K/XP
take-out deal.

> Just to clarify for a newbie, The main functionality of SWAT is to
> optimise the smb.conf file?

No, SWAT allows you to configure and tune Samba, every option has context
sensitive help too. Then it has a tool to manage network wide passwords,
and to check on what files are open, etc. It is just that when you use
SWAT to write the smb.conf file it will write only those parameters that
are at non-default values, and it will write them in it's internal order.

> Should a separate tool be used if I want to simplify management
> (viewing, organising, understanding) of the smb.conf, or does SWAT
> perform that task as well as any of the other Samba gui's as well as
> performing optimisation?

My opinion or yours? Best thing is to try it. Form your own judgement and
give me your feedback.

> On a more basic level, could I ask you two questions about SWAT?

You did anyhow. ;)

> I could discover the answer by setting up SWAT, but I would like to know the
> answer before trying.  :-)

Lazy?

> 1. Does SWAT show what all the parameters are set to ?  ( I don't find
testparm
> output the nicest to read)

Yep. It has a Basic mode and an Advanced mode. In Samba-3.0.0 it will have
a Basic mode, an Advanced mode and a Developer mode.

> 2. Does SWAT allow for "included" files in smb.conf ?
>
> finally, sorry I sure don't have the expertise to create code for swat.
>
> If I sound critical of your work or anything here, I really don't mean to,
just
> looking for information.

Criticism is fair game. Go for it. That's how we improve things.

> Once again, thanks for your good work.

No problems. Enjoy.

- John T.

Opinions contained in this e-mail do not necessarily reflect
the opinions of the Queensland Department of Main Roads,
Queensland Transport or National Transport Secretariat, or
endorsed organisations utilising the same infrastructure.
If you have received this electronic mail message in error,
please immediately notify the sender and delete the message
from your computer.