[Samba] Samba & Citrix

Eric Roseme eroseme at emonster.rose.hp.com
Tue Nov 26 21:36:01 GMT 2002

I pasted this in from a reply I did on 8/3/2002. It's in the archives:

Your problem may be related to the Windows 2000 Terminal Servers.

Samba does not work well under heavy loads with Terminal Server on
Windows 2000. Microsoft commented out the MultipleUsersOnConnection
code from their Windows 2000 redirector. On NT 4.0 Terminal Server,
the MultipleUsersOnConnection registry parameter was used to establish
a separate VC (TCP connect) for every TS user who opened a share from
the TS to a particular Samba server. On Windows 2000 TS - without
the MultipleUsersOnConnection registry parameter - only one TCP VC
gets established from the TS to a Samba server. Thus, all TS users
who mount a Samba share will use the same TCP connection, and thus
the same smbd. If you have multiple users from one Windows 2000 TS
writing to the Samba server via one smbd, I could see how problems
might arise.

If you have access to a NT4.0 Terminal Server, you could try testing
it with the MultipleUsersOnConnection parameter enabled (see Q190162).
Also, you could try testing your DB application against the Samba
server without the Terminal Server.

Eric Roseme
Hewlett-Packard