[Samba] Slow and bad performance on large dirs.

Harrison Xing harrison at mountainviewdata.com
Sat Nov 23 06:46:01 GMT 2002

Hi,

We had a severe problem with samba with very large directories, e.g. 100,000
files. The file copy speed is becoming slower and slower, and it is a few
times slower compared with the data when the files to be copied are already on
the server.  Anyone has good ideas about how to solve this?
By simply checking the code, I found at smbd/filename.c, if the files are
not found on the server, it will do a "scan_directory" which might be very
slow if the directory is large. Are there anyway to avoid this searching?
Thanks.

--
Best Regards,
Harrison