[Samba] Slow and bad performance on large dirs.

Noel Kelly nkelly at citrusnetworks.net
Sat Nov 23 09:11:00 GMT 2002

I believe this is more a filesystem issue than a Samba one.  Using ext2/ext3
browsing directories with many files will be slow as it constructs lists for
the entries to display.  Filesystems like XFS and ReiserFS use binary trees
which skip this step, so you might want to find a distribution or kernel to
support filesystems like these.

I wonder if your copy would go faster if you did not use Windows Exlporer to
do the copying, bearing in mind it tries to continually refresh the
directory contents.  Maybe try using xcopy and see if that is an
improvement.

Purely my own experience but I have found copying files using the Windows
Java version of Midnight Commander is very, very fast.

HTH

Noel