[Samba] PDC Problems...

Frank Matthieß fm+samba at Microdata-POS.de
Fri Nov 22 15:16:00 GMT 2002

On Fri, Nov 22, 2002 at 02:34:18PM +0000, Brett.Cook at students.dmu.ac.uk wrote:
> Just saw this in my System log.
>
> Nov 22
>
> 14:20:09 nmbd query_name: Failed to send packet trying to query name
> THEMOLE<1d>
>
> (with the <1d> on the end)

<1d> is for local master browser.
"Samba-HOWTO-Collection.pdf" section 2.3 page 9 (14/88)

In my first answer i give you the hint to add "local master broswer = yes". Do
you forgot this in your smb.conf?

Please make a crosscheck from your actual samba config(no - not the smb.conf,
try testparm to get _all_ parm's) and the "Samba-HOWTO-Collection.pdf".
Do a "testparm > samba.config". You must press _one_ key to dump this to the
file ;-)

It will save a loot of your time if you check all unknown parm's in testparm
output with "man smb.conf" in another console/terminal window. I've learned
much about samba with this crosscheck. Every parameter you don't understand
will left with default values.

> What's that about? Could it have something to do with anything?

I think so.

Please make sure that your samba server is the only pdc for THEMOLE and the
only one wins server for your network.

Are there runnning nt server systems? Do the serve wins or the domain?
There can only by one wins server in your network. samba is abelt to use a nt
wins server with the globale smb.conf parm "wins server". It is preferred to
use the nt winsserver if you have one.

> Thanks.

This questions should be send to the sambalist, because this is helpfull for
all other new people, which want to setup a samba server as pdc. For you
there is a better chance to get approbiate answers. Think about timzone diff's
;-).
--
Frank Matthieß                                    fm+samba at Microdata-pos.de