[Samba] Re: Shared profiles under XP?

xfesty xfesty at computeraddictions.com.au
Fri Nov 22 08:43:01 GMT 2002

Hmm..

Surely there's someway to make a non-changable profiles for all users?
I mean, Windows 2000 Server can do this, and so could NT4...

On Thursday, November 21, 2002, at 08:03 PM, Buchan Milne wrote:

>> Message: 12
>> Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2002 10:36:18 +1100
>> From: xfesty <xfesty at computeraddictions.com.au>
>> To: samba at lists.samba.org
>> Subject: [Samba] Re: Shared profiles under XP?
>>
>> Hi...
>>
>> Isn't this possible?
>>
>> I've gotten no replies...

>> On Wednesday, November 20, 2002, at 10:54 PM, xfesty wrote:
>>

>>> Hiya.
>>>
>>> Is it possible to share profiles between different users with Samba
>>> 3.0CVS acting as a PDC, and XP Workstations?
>
> It doesn't matter what is on the server side. The issue is that the
> registry file contains ACLs, and unless you set the ACLs to allow
> everyone to use the profile it won't work (regradless of the server).
> However, some features won't work right if you do this, such as the
> list
> of last-opened files in many applications won't be updated, since this
> information is store in the registry.
>

>>> All users are using the same profile share; the concept is that
>>> there's an "Admin" user which can read/write to this, so I can setup
>>> things such as Internet Explorer settings / Desktop/Start Menu items
>>> /
>>> color scheme, etc..., and all other users only have read only access
>>> to this share, yet use the same profile.
>>>

> AFAIK, windows requires write access to the profile, otherwise it won't
> load it (or it may, but will warn you that your changes will be lost
> everytime you log in). You can enforce a lot of these settings by
> policies, however the policy implementation changed with windows 2000
> use AD, and policy files don't quite seem to work as they should with
> windows 2000. And policies didn't seem to be very robust with NT4
> anyway. We don't use policies that much any more, since they broke the
> one (expensive) application everyone here uses.
>
> For desktop/start menu items, you can use the "All Users" profile on
> the
> client machine, I don't think the "All Users" profile can reside
> server-side.
>
>>> At the moment each user's trying to create its own profile, which
>>> isn't what I want (and isn't possible, considering the fact its a
>>> read
>>> only share).
>>>
>>> If it makes any difference, I'm using jelmer's mysql module, and all
>>> users are in the same unix group.
>
> Don't think it would make a difference.
>
> Buchan
>
> - --
> |----------------Registered Linux User #182071-----------------|
> Buchan Milne                Mechanical Engineer, Network Manager
> Cellphone * Work            +27 82 472 2231 * +27 21 8828820x121
> Stellenbosch Automotive Engineering         http://www.cae.co.za
> GPG Key                   http://ranger.dnsalias.com/bgmilne.asc
> 1024D/60D204A7 2919 E232 5610 A038 87B1 72D6 AC92 BA50 60D2 04A7

- -- -
Ryan Verner <xfesty at computeraddictions.com.au>
PGP: 5819 DE5D B5AE 9381 7E60  5B4C 45CC 64DF D3CC EB07

ICQ: 76626240                   IRC: xf / irc.oublinet.net
PH: +61 415 297 303             EQ: Mummer (Bard), Tholuxe

In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of
people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.