[Samba] Re: Shared profiles under XP?

David de Groot david at viking.org.au
Thu Nov 21 08:43:01 GMT 2002

On Wednesday, Nov 20, 2002, at 22:24 Australia/Adelaide, xfesty wrote:

> Is it possible to share profiles between different users with Samba
> 3.0CVS acting as a PDC, and XP Workstations?
>
> All users are using the same profile share; the concept is that
> there's an "Admin" user which can read/write to this, so I can setup
> things such as Internet Explorer settings / Desktop/Start Menu items /
> color scheme, etc..., and all other users only have read only access
> to this share, yet use the same profile.
>
> At the moment each user's trying to create its own profile, which
> isn't what I want (and isn't possible, considering the fact its a read
> only share).
>
> If it makes any difference, I'm using jelmer's mysql module, and all
> users are in the same unix group.

I think what you'll find is you're hitting a limit of Windows not Samba.
The user profile usually contains the user registry entries (in a .dat
file), Temporary Internet Files, various application specific settings
and temp access areas. Therefore the clients need write access to this
area. Furthermore, unless they're all logging in with the same
username, you can't share a single profile over disparate users. Again,
this is a limitation of Windows not Samba.

Dave