[Samba] Re: Shared profiles under XP?

xfesty xfesty at computeraddictions.com.au
Fri Nov 22 08:45:21 GMT 2002

Hmm..

Surely there's someway to make a non-changable profiles for all users?
I mean, Windows 2000 Server can do this, and so could NT4...

On Thursday, November 21, 2002, at 07:42 PM, David de Groot wrote:

> On Wednesday, Nov 20, 2002, at 22:24 Australia/Adelaide, xfesty wrote:
>>
>> Is it possible to share profiles between different users with Samba
>> 3.0CVS acting as a PDC, and XP Workstations?
>>
>> All users are using the same profile share; the concept is that
>> there's an "Admin" user which can read/write to this, so I can setup
>> things such as Internet Explorer settings / Desktop/Start Menu items
>> / color scheme, etc..., and all other users only have read only
>> access to this share, yet use the same profile.
>>
>> At the moment each user's trying to create its own profile, which
>> isn't what I want (and isn't possible, considering the fact its a
>> read only share).
>>
>> If it makes any difference, I'm using jelmer's mysql module, and all
>> users are in the same unix group.
>>

> I think what you'll find is you're hitting a limit of Windows not
> Samba.
> The user profile usually contains the user registry entries (in a .dat
> file), Temporary Internet Files, various application specific settings
> and temp access areas. Therefore the clients need write access to this
> area. Furthermore, unless they're all logging in with the same
> username, you can't share a single profile over disparate users.
> Again, this is a limitation of Windows not Samba.
>
> Dave

- -- -
Ryan Verner <xfesty at computeraddictions.com.au>
PGP: 5819 DE5D B5AE 9381 7E60  5B4C 45CC 64DF D3CC EB07

ICQ: 76626240                   IRC: xf / irc.oublinet.net
PH: +61 415 297 303             EQ: Mummer (Bard), Tholuxe

In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of
people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.