[Samba] concurrent accesses to the same file

Josep Blanes josep.blanes at eps.udg.es
Tue Nov 19 11:53:00 GMT 2002

Hi all,

I am experiencing some problems with read-only samba shares when more than one user is accessing a given file at the same time; the client machines are all Windows 2000 Professional.

That is, for an instance, two users are using the same software simultaneously, and at the same time, they try to open a data file that is stored on a network drive (the samba share). They click on "open file" at the same time, but this operation fails. (locking problems).

Tried to put oplocks off ("oplocks" and "level2 oplocks"), turned them on again, etc... but none of the combinations worked.

The same test taking a W2000 Server for storing the network drive works perfectly, with the software application opening the same file on a lot of client machines and not complaining at all.

And I think this problem is not related to the new Microsoft transport protocol (Direct Host, port 445). (forcing the client machines connect via Netbios instead of Direct Host also works with no problems).

If anyone knows what can be wrong, please send me a note.

Thanks in advance.

--
Josep Blanes