[Samba] concurrent accesses to the same file

Gareth Davies gdavies at willowbrook.co.uk
Tue Nov 19 12:22:01 GMT 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Josep Blanes" <josep.blanes at eps.udg.es>
To: <samba at lists.samba.org>
Sent: Tuesday, November 19, 2002 11:57 AM
Subject: [Samba] concurrent accesses to the same file

> Hi all,
>
> I am experiencing some problems with read-only samba shares when more than
one user is accessing a given file at the same time; the client machines are
all Windows 2000 Professional.

> That is, for an instance, two users are using the same software
simultaneously, and at the same time, they try to open a data file that is
stored on a network drive (the samba share). They click on "open file" at
the same time, but this operation fails. (locking problems).

> Tried to put oplocks off ("oplocks" and "level2 oplocks"), turned them on
again, etc... but none of the combinations worked.

> The same test taking a W2000 Server for storing the network drive works
perfectly, with the software application opening the same file on a lot of
client machines and not complaining at all.

> And I think this problem is not related to the new Microsoft transport
protocol (Direct Host, port 445). (forcing the client machines connect via
Netbios instead of Direct Host also works with no problems).

> If anyone knows what can be wrong, please send me a note.
>
> Thanks in advance.

Have you tried veto oplocks?

             Shaolin - IT Systems
                     WB Ltd.