[Samba] Samba and Windows XP

John Russell apca72 at dsl.pipex.com
Tue Nov 19 08:30:01 GMT 2002

 this is a security check new to Windows XP (or maybe only
Windows XP service pack 1).  It can be disabled via a group policy in
Active Directory.  The policy is:

"Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\System\User
Profiles\Do not check for user ownership of Roaming Profile Folders"

...and it should be set to "Enabled".

Does the new version of samba have an Active Directory analogue?  If so,
then you may be able to set the policy through this.

If you cannot set group policies in samba, then you may be able to set
the policy locally on each machine.  If you want to try this, then do
the following (N.B. I don't know for sure that this will work in the
same way as a domain group policy):

On the XP workstation log in with an Administrator account.

Click: "Start", "Run"
Type: "mmc"
Click: "OK"

A Microsoft Management Console should appear.
Click: File, "Add/Remove Snap-in...", "Add"
Double-Click: "Group Policy"
Click: "Finish", "Close"
Click: "OK"

In the "Console Root" window:
Expand: "Local Computer Policy", "Computer Configuration",
"Administrative Templates", "System", "User Profiles"
Double-Click: "Do not check for user ownership of Roaming Profile
Folders"
Select: "Enabled"
Click: OK"

Close the whole console.  You do not need to save the settings (this
refers to the console settings rather than the policies you have
changed).

Reboot.