[Samba] write access to shares on PDC faulty (samba 2.2.6)

Dr U. Falke falke at liverpool.ac.uk
Mon Nov 18 18:52:01 GMT 2002

Hi,
I just configured samba (2.2.6) on a Linux box (2.4.18) to act as a PDC.
I can bring W2K PCs into the domain, and I can read the data on exported
shares.
However, when I try to write data, the following occurs:
1. trying to create directories (AKA folders :-) from the W2K GUI using
"New Folder":
Error Message Box "Unable to create the folder 'New Folder'. Cannot
create a file when that file already exists."
Nevertheless, a folder "New folder" is created.

2. Trying to copy a file to the share
Error Message "Cannot copy ...: The specified network name is no longer
available."

When trying to copy files from a linux box onto the same share (then
mounted via smbmount), also a write error occurs (permission denied).

the file permission modes are properly set.

I am not so experienced with samba, but my guess is: something is wrong
with the file locking.

Any helpful comments and hints appreciated.

Uwe

Dr. Uwe Falke
UK SuperSTEM Laboratory
Dept. of Engineering, University of Liverpool
c/o CCLRC Daresbury Laboratory,
Warrington, Cheshire, WA4 4AD
phone: 01925 86 4905
fax: 01925 86 4910