[Samba] joining an NT PDC, WinNT user privileges

Chris McKeever cgmckeever at prupref.com
Mon Nov 18 16:19:01 GMT 2002

I just finished doing this myself (and now am trying to set it up at work).
Joining the computer to the domain smbpasswd -j (from the winbind man) justs
creates a computer account for the samba share..from my understanding, that
has nothing to do with the actual samba shares that will be implemented..so
you just need to use the smbpasswd -j command with a user account that has
enough priviledge to add a computer to the domain.

The priviledges for files are created in the smb.conf file where you dictate
read/write priviledges based on the NT account information

My hardest part was configuring the pam modules to allow samba access
without needing to setup local linux and samba accounts...100% off the
domain user table