[Samba] Master browser problems (I've RTFM;)

Paladin paladin at paladin.dhis.org
Sun Nov 17 05:05:01 GMT 2002

On Sun, 17 Nov 2002 04:10:44 +0000 (GMT)
John H Terpstra <jht at samba.org> wrote:

>  Please explain what the real problem is. This sounds like an
>  interpretation, and at that one that might not be the whole
>  story.
>
>  - John

Oh, sorry! :/

My network consists of three computers: a linux server (running samba in the conditions i mentioned in the previous mail), a linux workstation and a windows XP pro workstation.
The problem is that when I'm browsing my network neighborhood in windows I can't see the linux server. In the linux workstation it's the same problem. The best I can do is browse the linux workstation through windows.
When using smbclient on the samba server, the server's name appears in the server and master sections. In the linux client the client's name appears only in the server sections and the master is empty. On windows all three names appear in the server section and the window's name appears as master. (That's why I "guessed" the master browser problem! ;)
Sometimes the linux client shows windows as master though. And running win98 in vmware through the linux client I can browse the linux server but not the other two computers.

I hope I've explained myself better this time. Thanks again,

--
Paladin