[Samba] Missing Files in listing from Windows XP share

Daryl Boyd dboyd at firefly.ca
Fri Nov 15 17:58:37 GMT 2002

I have an odd problem with a smb mounted directory to a Windows XP machine.
If I mount a filesystem from the XP machine on my linux box and
repeatedly do a "ls -l" or a "find ./ -print" sometimes
some files are missing from the listing.
I tried this with both 2.2.3a and 2.2.6. I'm Using WindowsXP and RedHat 7.3.

Details:

in /etc/fstab
//firefly/photos       /win/photos   smbfs
debug=10,username=user,password=password   1    3

output from test:
% cd "/win/photos/test directory"
% ls | wc
     156      156    2654
% ls | wc
     155      156    2654
% ls | wc
     158      156    2654
% ls | wc
     156      156    2654
If I pipe the output to a file (for each run) and then diff them, I see
a few files consistently come and go. These are all jpg files and
windows is NOT accessing them, or doing anything in the directory at the
time.
eg:
% ls | grep 3009
230-3009_IMG.JPG
% ls | grep 3009
230-3009_IMG.JPG
% ls | grep 3009
230-3009_IMG.JPG
% ls | grep 3009
230-3009_IMG.JPG
% ls | grep 3009
% ls | grep 3009
% ls | grep 3009
% ls | grep 3009
230-3009_IMG.JPG
% ls | grep 3009
230-3009_IMG.JPG

I can also do a "find ./ -print" and see the same inconsistencies.

I'd really appreciate some held trying to fix this... Its really causing
me grief!  I've tried to enable debugging so I can see the data going
between the two machines when I do the ls, but I can only get smbmount
to dump debug info when connecting, not when doing transactions. Any
idea how do get more detail?
If anyone needs more info, I'd be glad to provide it....

Thanks,
Daryl