[Samba] Default Profiles

Freeman, Peter (ERHS) Freeman.Peter at saugov.sa.gov.au
Thu Nov 14 03:50:01 GMT 2002

>You are correct in saying that the new default profile is set
>up on each
>client as it logs in first time.
>The important thing to remember for this is that it is done LOCALLY on
>the users workstation, not on the server. So, any changes that you make
>to the C:\Documents and Settings\Default User folder or the
>HKU\.Default

Would it be possible to have a default profile copied to the users profile
dir on the samba box when you create a new user.  That way the workstation
would download the server profile because it already exists, rather than
using the local Default User copy.

ie: log on with a test user, set up all the settings the way u
want them, then log off, and use the resulting profile on the samba
server as your initial copy to dump in the new user's profile dir

We run roaming profiles and have the Default User profile set up on
each workstation (W2K) as a result of having a standard image for all
our PCs.  I haven't got around to trying my suggestion above, so I'm
unsure if it would work or not, but if anyone else has tried it I'd
be interested to know.