[Samba] Default Profiles

Glen Gibb grg at ridley.unimelb.edu.au
Thu Nov 14 04:09:01 GMT 2002

> Would it be possible to have a default profile copied to the users profile
> dir on the samba box when you create a new user.  That way the workstation
> would download the server profile because it already exists, rather than
> using the local Default User copy.
>
> ie: log on with a test user, set up all the settings the way u
> want them, then log off, and use the resulting profile on the samba
> server as your initial copy to dump in the new user's profile dir
>
> We run roaming profiles and have the Default User profile set up on
> each workstation (W2K) as a result of having a standard image for all
> our PCs.  I haven't got around to trying my suggestion above, so I'm
> unsure if it would work or not, but if anyone else has tried it I'd
> be interested to know.

Hmm... it sounds like a reasonable idea.

You might however find that there are a few problems with things such as
NT SID's stored in the profile needing to be updated for the new user
(such as those stored in NTUSER.DAT). I'm not an expert so this might not
be correct.

Hope this helps
Glen Gibb
Ridley College