[Samba] Samba and non-ASCII characters

Urban Widmark urban at teststation.com
Mon Nov 11 19:37:01 GMT 2002

On Mon, 11 Nov 2002, Fabio Lindner wrote:

> I can't access a directory or file named 'Atualização' or 'Á.doc' for
> example. A ls or cp command give me 'No such file or directory' error
> message. If I rename them (server-side) to 'Atualizaçao' or 'Atualizaçéo',
> etc. I can
> access them. Any other file or directory I can access w/o a problem.

The smb.conf settings for code page/charset are not used by smbfs.
Instead the kernel settings are used, which can be overridden by the
iocharset and codepage options to smbmount.

Since some chars work and others do not it is possible that you have
configured it to use one code page but the server is returning data in
another code page.

It's also possible that the server isn't capable of mapping these chars
into the right codepage (even if there is a matching char in it). You can
check this if you run ethereal and see which bytes it is sending.

If the server is sending "Atualização" as "Atualizaçao" but refuses to
understand the name "Atualizaçao", there is nothing smbfs can do about
it...

Finally, if you can't get it to work by playing with the codepage settings
you can enable unicode using kernel and samba patches from this page:

http://www.hojdpunkten.ac.se/054/samba/index.html

/Urban