[Samba] Samba and non-ASCII characters

Fabio Lindner flindner at gvdasa.com.br
Mon Nov 11 10:48:01 GMT 2002

Hi,

I'm have my first Samba PDC 2.2.6 up and running (great!) but I have a
problem with *some* non-ASCII characters.

Here are some details:

- Windows (Win98, Win2k and WinXP) clients use Portuguese-Brazillian (pt-BR)
as language.
- Linux distribuition: Mandrake 9.0 with the latest updates (from
MandrakeSoft) and Portuguese-Brazillian support.
- 'chcp' from a command prompt give me: Active code page = 850
- Some relevant options in my smb.conf:
  client code page = 850
  character set = ISO8859-1
  default case = lower
  preserve case = yes
  case sensitive = no
  short preserve case = yes

I'm logged as root in my Linux box and as administrator in my NT server box
and smbmounted a share of my interest. I'm just trying to copy some folders
from NT to Linux. Now my real problem:

I can't access a directory or file named 'Atualização' or 'Á.doc' for
example. A ls or cp command give me 'No such file or directory' error
message. If I rename them (server-side) to 'Atualizaçao' or 'Atualizaçéo',
etc. I can
access them. Any other file or directory I can access w/o a problem.

Have you experienced something like that ? Probably I'm doing a mistake
somewhere...

Thanks.

---
Fabio Lindner