[Samba] smbd processes hanging around

amit deshmukh adeshmuk at eng.utoledo.edu
Mon Nov 11 19:33:00 GMT 2002

Hi All,

    I am using Samba 2.2.3a as PDC to Windows NT 4.0 workstations. The PDC
works fine except for the fact that the user processes (smbd) that are
spawned, stay for a while even after the user logs off. The behavior of
these processes is such that it is initially owened by user 'nobody' as
soon as user logs off and then the process is owned by 'root'. The process
eventually goes off after around 40 mins or sometime it does not go at
all.
    I did look at samba logs for the machines that are as follows

[2002/11/02 04:08:07, 0] rpc_server/srv_netlog.c:api_net_sam_logon(206)
  api_net_sam_logon: Failed to marshall NET_R_SAM_LOGON.
[2002/11/02 04:08:07, 0] rpc_server/srv_pipe.c:api_rpcTNP(1200)
  api_rpcTNP: api_netlog_rpc: NET_SAMLOGON failed.

     I read it from the mailing list that relocating the private directory
would saove this problems.. but it doesn't seem to work for me.

     Can anybody help me with this ?

thanks in advance

regds
Amit