[Samba] keeping ownership/groups and permissions using tar and smbmount

Ken Walker ken.walker at textiles.umist.ac.uk
Mon Nov 11 18:07:00 GMT 2002

If i share a folder using samba on a LM8.1 machine. and then smbmount from a
LM9 machine. The files on the LM8.1 machine as seen by the LM9 machine are
owned by root and group root. But on the LM8.1 machine the owner and groups
are the original owners of the files.

The LM8.1 is about to be replaced with a LM9 + Dat drive. But for now I need
to backup all the files on the LM8.1 machine using the Dat drive on the LM9
machine using tar, but i need to keep all owners and groups the same as the
originals.

I can't do this if the LM9 machine sees them as all owned as root.

I smbmount using a normal user account, and do the tar ing as su.

Anybody have any ideas.

many thanks

Mr Smiley :o)