[Samba] delay in utmpx entry when users logs out of samba domain

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Sun Nov 10 09:10:09 GMT 2002

On Sun, 2002-11-10 at 17:18, David Tremewen wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm using the system accounting functionallity of
> Samba 2.2.6.  Everything is working fine and dandy
> except that there is a lag between when a user logs
> out of a Windos 2000 Domain member, the 'who' command
> still lists the user as logged on for the next 20 - 30
> seconds.
> Does anyone know what causes this?  Can I increase the
> frequency of utmpx updates?  Can someone point me to
> an overview of how utmp works with samba?
> Thanks,
> Dave Tremewen

The utmp entries are updated when the client sends the SMBulogoffX
message, or when the client disconnects the TCP/IP stream.  We cannot
update these records until that time, as the client has not yet logged
off, and could still access resources.

Note that the utmp entires are maintained by the connection for
file-sharing, not by the 'domain' logon/logoff.  I have found that with
WinNT, it keeps this vuid alive for this length of time after the last
file-share is disconnected.

(I'll guess that actually disconnecting sessions and calling SMBulogoffX
is done in some internal NT idle loop, rather than activly on share
disconnection).

Andrew Bartlett

Andrew Bartlett                                 abartlet at pcug.org.au
Manager, Authentication Subsystems, Samba Team  abartlet at samba.org